How to Enroll in an Intensive English Program in Canada

intensive English programEveryone knows that applying to university can be a little tricky. But, applying to a university that’s located in another country can be very stressful! There are language classes to book, university applications to fill out, and study permits to apply for—that’s a lot to keep track of!

Fortunately, English as a Second Language (ESL) programs like CultureWorks are there to help you every step of the way. And, if you need extra help getting started on your study abroad application, read on for a guide to applying to ESL school in Canada.

Search for a Reputable Intensive English Program in Canada

The first step to studying English in Canada is to find the right ESL program for you. What should you look for in an ESL school? To start with, you’ll want to find a program with friendly and experienced instructors. You’ll also want your program to include:

  • A friendly and welcoming learning environment
  • Fun activities that let you explore Canada
  • Electives that teach you program-specific vocabulary
CultureWorks students try out curling – a popular sport in Canada!
CultureWorks students try out curling – a popular sport in Canada!

And, if you’re lucky, you’ll even be able to find an ESL program that’s located right on your future university campus – making it easier for you to transition into university life in Canada!

Create an Online Account With Your ESL School

Once you’ve chosen the intensive English program you’d like to attend, the next step is creating an account to start the application process. At CultureWorks, for example, students create an online account which helps them keep track of their application checklist. To create your account, you’ll need to enter your email address and create a password. Then, you’ll also need to include:

  • Your education history
  • Whether you are applying for ESL + undergraduate studies, ESL + graduate studies, or ESL only
  • The university and program you would like to study after ESL school

Choose The University and Program You Would Like to Study

ESL schools like CultureWorks help you complete your application to university. That’s why when you apply to CultureWorks, you’ll be asked to choose your university and program. CultureWorks will then send your application to the university for you.

Here’s a diagram that illustrates the process:

Once you’re accepted into CultureWorks, you’ll also gain conditional acceptance into university.
Once you’re accepted into CultureWorks, you’ll also gain conditional acceptance into university.

Obtain a Valid Permit to Study English in Canada

To attend an intensive English program in Canada, you will need a valid study permit. To be eligible for a Canadian study permit, you’ll need to prove that you don’t have a criminal record, you’re in good health, and you have enough money to cover your tuition and living expenses.

To find out which documents you’ll need for your application, visit the official government website.

Application processing times can take several weeks depending on your country of origin. It’s important to double check the application processing time for your country—and make sure that you don’t start the process at the last minute!

Still need more information about applying to study English in Canada?

Visit our website to learn more about our ESL program, and find out how you can get started!